Monday, 1 September 2014

Ottawa Uni Life: Unpacking, Sightseeing & Jetlag

So it's that time of year again where students find themselves rushing to get back into the 'work hard' and 'damn, gotta wake up early now' modes after a somewhat stress-free summer. Well, if you're up in the Northern hemisphere or attend a school that follows a Western curriculum *ahem* anyway.

That only means, I'm back in Ottawa, and with a few days to go till the start of classes, I'm frantically trying to psyche myself for the mental onslaught I'll be receiving for the next three and a half months until Christmas. I swear, I should have really prepped myself before getting on the plane.

Alas, welcome back to the world of assignments, exams and asking for your seat-mate if they've got a pen you can borrow (and perhaps never give back)! I know, I sound so cynical, and I don't mean to be. Really.

Well, I may be just a tad bit cranky as I did just get back two days ago and am suffering through this terrible thing we call JETLAG. Hence, I have found myself snoozing in the afternoon and waking up at midnight to the sound of students HEADING HOME for the day. And it's only then that MY DAY starts. Meaning, I've been unpacking and sorting out my room in the wee hours of the morning, also meaning, I've got to be extra quiet and not wake anyone up with my stumbling around looking for things.

Here's a little sneak peek of my boudoir a.k.a. the place where I will be typing away on my laptop trying to finish assignments, eating most of my meals and breaking down from the pressure of deadlines. I joke. Maybe.

My work station! I must say, I think I'm prepared for this battle. Printer locked and loaded with ink, board filled with inspirational quotes, memories and reminders, and of course my little minion to keep me company? I think I'm all good. Let's do this!

And yes, I am a sucker for polaroids, and I love hanging them around my room. It can't be helped.

Since classes won't be starting for awhile, I took advantage of that, tapped into my inner tourist and went sightseeing around the city armed with my sunnies, camera and comfy flats.

Having lived here for practically two years now, the sight of Parliament Hill never ceases to amaze me. I can't help but glance at it every time the bus passes by and marvel at it's rustic charm. Summer, autumn, winter and spring? It still looks amazing. I can't count how many times I've photographed it over the time I've been here. I admit, I probably won't ever stop as long as I'm in the city.

If you're ever in the city, do stop by. I mean, I doubt you'll plan your trip here without a visit to Parliament Hill, but still. It's a beauty that you can't miss. And just a tip - if you are planning to visit, come to the city during the summer time to catch Mosaika, Parliament's light and sound show that tells the story of Canada! The Centre Block lights up with all this fancy light work and it is just amazing. I've caught it twice now, and I have to say, I was in constant awe both times. I believe it runs every night during the summer, though the times do change every month. It's free too, which is a plus. You won't want to miss it!




I just, argh, can't handle all this architectural gorgeousness! 



I definitely love strolling around downtown Ottawa, provided that the weather's good. It's one of the instances that I don't mind walking around to get anywhere.



Here's another beauty that is Fairmont Chateau Laurier. It's a historical landmark hotel just a few steps away from Parliament Hill, and again, I drool at the sight of it. I actually have yet to step foot inside. Perhaps this year I will. The whole french architecture just tugs at my heart that is eager to visit Europe and see buildings just like this one. One day, that will happen. But for now, my heart is content with this.


Alright, so maybe there is a perk to this whole jetlag thing. Getting to watch the sunrise for the past two days has been amazing. So, so pretty.

For those who are going back to school, I wish you the best of luck! Make this year count, especially if you're graduating - be it from grade school, high school or university! It's the perfect chance to make new discoveries, be it school-related or about you.

I've got a good feeling this year.
Come at us new school year!



No comments:

Post a Comment