As promised in my last Uni Life update entry, here is the first of my (hopefully) numerous ByWard Market adventures! Again, I've been frequenting the area often in the last two months (both for pleasure and school) that it just seemed right to blog about the things to do and see here for anyone looking to visit! Or you know, just for curiousity's sake. Either way, here it is!
According to various Ottawa tourist sites, Restaurant 18 is a must-visit. I've yet to try it out (hopefully sometime soon) but it sounds great! I mean, just check out their website and try not to drool.
So going off of ByWard Market's historical walking tour, I took my camera and comfy Vans and decided to explore the place on my own! Started off at Clarendon Court, between George and York Streets. I had absolutely no idea that there were these little alleyways that existed!
Some art pieces displayed along the walls - so, so pretty!
Coming out the other side of Clarendon Court, I was greeted by the York Street Millennium Fountain. Again, had no idea this piece of history existed. According to the panels by the fountain, the city used to have about 30 similar fountains during the late 19th/early 20th Century. This particular one is a replica of one of them, and it's been around since August 2000. It's located on an island on the intersection of York and Sussex, so you won't miss it!
On to Jeanne-d'Arc Court, between York and Clarence Streets...
...and I was greeted by this fella! This dancing bear statue was created in 1990 by Inuit artist Pauta Saila, who is well known for his bear pieces. I dare you to not snap a photo of this cute guy!
A few steps away from the dancing bear is this 'Young Girl'. The statue was created by John Ivor Smith, and shows a 'young woman holding a hoop over her head' with an apparent reference to Heaven and God. It's right in front of the Jeanne-d'Arc Institute, which used to be run by nuns in 1917 and housed young women. Since then, it's been converted into a condo/office space.
My last stop on this trip was Notre Dame Basilica (375-385 Sussex Drive). I'd seen photos, but man, to see it in real life is amazing! The architecture is amazing, and the interior just... I'm speechless.
How gorgeous does the interior look? I've yet to attend a mass here, but I'm definitely looking forward to my next visit.
What other adventures await here at ByWard Market?
We shall see! Definitely stay tuned for the next installment of my ByWard adventure!







No comments:
Post a Comment