Monday, 6 October 2014

Ottawa Uni Life: The Uni Life Update


 So, a month into the school year and I'm surprised that I'm still alive. How has it only been a month?

I've found myself buried in work these past few days and the next few days are no different. I swear, with the workload I've been dealing with, it feels as though more than just a month has passed. But alas, here I find myself with two more to go before the Christmas break. And I need it to come by quicker.

That being said, I've really been enjoying this month despite the stress and breakouts I've had to deal with. Third-year journalism has been kicking my butt, but I'm loving it. I mean, where else am I able to tap into my inner cameraman and shoot interviews with all this professional equipment? Even setting up I find quite fun! Granted, I'm still quite the amateur and have a long way to go, but all this hands-on experience does have me feeling waves of excitement (and anxiety, because hello? These babies are breakable!)

 Photos taken off my Instagram account

 One thing that I have definitely not been enjoying as much is editing all the clips. It. Is. A. Pain. No lie. Making sure everything plays smoothly and everything is in synch is such a painstakingly, frustrating process that a few friends and I have found ourselves throwing our hands in the air in defeat. So much respect for video editors out there! I don't know how they do it.

Lately I've been spending quite some time at the editing suites here at Carleton, and it's beginning to feel somewhat like a second home in the university. But hey, every time we get a thumbs up from the pros (a.k.a. the tech guys and our prof)? Nothing beats that sense of pride and happiness you feel when you know you've done something right.

Another place I've found myself frequenting is ByWard Market. Yes, one of my courses does require me to be trolling the place for news stories, but I've come to love the place! Funny how I've been here for two years and it's only now that I've learned that there's more to that area than just the actual market and few pubs here and there. Turns out there's tons to do there, hence why you may just find me strolling along with my camera (both for work and pleasure) snapping away on the weekends.

Future blog posts of ByWard adventures to come!




 How have I never noticed this totem pole before?



 Without a doubt I've had my lazy days, especially when the weather's all foggy and cold. I mean, sure, I love fall but not when I wake up to this and have to walk around in it. Not cool.

But on most days, it's all good. You just know that the day's going to be nice when you wake up to something like that. 

So yes, this past month, has been filled with so many discoveries, and despite a few bumps along the way, it's been great. I seriously still can't believe that it's only been a month. Is it too early to start counting down the days until Christmas? I hope not, cause I've started already...

Cannot wait for the next few weeks (especially with reading week coming up)!
Happy discovering!


No comments:

Post a Comment