Here's another must see in Phnom Penh - the famous yellow colonial-style Psar Thmei, commonly known as Central Market which is located, well, in the centre of the city.
The dome-shaped market was constructed in 1937 during the French colonial period by French architect Louis Chauchon. It has four wings housing stalls selling clothes, electronics, jewelry, souvenirs and pretty much everything else. Around the main building are other stalls selling flowers, fruits and well, the wet market.
I'll be honest, I wasn't really expecting much coming here as I thought that it would just look like Ben Thanh Market in Ho Chi Minh City or Russian Market, but I was so wrong!
The paths are much wider and cleaner than Ben Thanh, a huge plus for me.
Inside the dome, you can't help but look up and marvel at the art-deco architecture. The yellow of the walls completely brightens up the whole place, especially with the sun shining through the little gaps in the walls and the ceilings.
There's also a small clock tower in the centre of the dome. You have to be standing pretty close to it though if you want to be able to tell the time.
Dried fish being sold in the wet market area
Now I'm not actually sure what these are, but they definitely looked interesting. Not that adventurous to try what they are though - maybe you are?
All kinds of fresh meat and seafood.
So many choices!
Fresh fruits and veggies - the colours just thrill me. When buying fruits, the vendors do sometimes let you have a little taste before purchasing, so don't be afraid to ask for a sample. And just for reference, we were able to buy a kilo of lychees for $2. Other vendors a few stalls down were selling them for double the price, so it definitely pays to walk around for awhile before committing.
Brains, anyone? Or perhaps a heart?
Brains, anyone? Or perhaps a heart?
Pickled something - what it is exactly I'm not sure. Again, wasn't feeling that adventurous to try it out. And with the amount of chili on it? Err...
Moving on to the part of the market that sells all kinds of souvenirs, garments and pseudo-antiques.
The stalls outside of the main building are covered, which is great as you wouldn't want to be fully exposed to the sun as you walk around the market.
There were quite a few people going a little crazy buying what I like to call 'genie pants' - harlem pants made from a really light material. They're perfect for walking around in hot climates and maybe you've noticed that I've been wearing them quite often in a few of my posts (quite discretely). I know they've definitely become a staple in my wardrobe.
I also noticed that quite a lot of the buses carrying tourists drop them off by the main entrance, where a whole deal of souvenirs can be bought. Now sure, it's a great place to take pictures of the market, but do be wary that prices do tend to be higher here. My advice would be to buy items as a group or in bulk, but it's better to walk inside the little hallways between those stalls for cheaper prices - after all a lot of them do sell the same stuff.
Handmade bags, wallets and toys, as well as other souvenirs. You can find these at Russian Market too.
These tiny, tiny figurines were being sold for (I think) $3 per piece. Good thing I was able to control myself and didn't buy anything, though I was sooo tempted!
Gorgeous flowers! You can buy these already arranged or you can always buy them per piece and make your own arrangements.
Again, souvenirs galore!
As I've said before, Ben Thanh Market was almost like a second home for me while I was in Ho Chi Minh City, and I think I've found its counterpart here in Phnom Penh. Central Market is definitely cleaner and less crowded in my opinion - though in terms of price, it still is much cheaper to buy goods in Ben Thanh. Again, it's just a matter of knowing where to buy stuff and how good your bargaining skills are.
Fair warning though, be sure to remember which side of the market you entered through. Because a lot of the stalls do look the same, you could get lost. I nearly did. Thank God I was with someone who knew their way around.
Central Market truly is a must visit for anyone in Phnom Penh. It's open from 7am to 5pm, but I have noticed that a few stalls don't open until 9am. I'd definitely suggest coming in the morning to truly get the full experience of the hustle and bustle of the market, and besides, it won't be too hot out.
Happy discovering!
| Central Market Between streets 126 and 136, Phnom Penh |
No comments:
Post a Comment