Tuesday, 17 June 2014

New York Steakhouse - Phnom Penh

Being in a 'new' country, I half expected myself to be trying out the local cuisine. But my first actual meal in Phnom Penh was at the New York Steakhouse, per my parents' suggestion. 
No. 264, Street 63, Sangkat Tonle Bassac, Khan Chamkamorn, Phnom Penh


As it turns out, there is also a New York Steakhouse in Vietnam, though how I never knew about that totally escapes me.

New York Steakhouse has got a really great ambience, with the lights and all the vintage-type decorations, right down to their red booths. There are also a lot of photographs of classic celebrities, so guessing who's who is a great game to play while waiting for your meal. It's a pretty great-looking building too with a mix between modern and traditional architecture. You'd probably feel as though you were in the States. And the staff are SUPER friendly. No jokes. 

I do recall the manager saying something about there being promotions everyday of the week, and as we were there on a Tuesday, it was 30% of the Porterhouse steak. And my oh my, it was gooodd. 

After ordering, the waiter started taking our knives and of course, that surprised me as I wondered how on earth I would be able to cut into my food without it. Two minutes later the same waiter comes back with a case filled with all sorts of knives - your choice on which one you'd like to use for the meal. Now that took me off guard. So much so I just let my dad pick one out for me. You could say I was a bit overwhelmed with all the sharp stuff.

To the food.


Porterhouse steak for 2

Dessert: Coffee ice cream, chocolate mousse and whipped cream. Heaven if you ask me. 
The steak was pretty big, and although it says on the menu that it's for two, it can definitely be shared among three people. Had we known that, we probably wouldn't have ordered the beef stroganoff as that ended up being taken home. Not to say that it wasn't delicious, but you know, steak comes first. And the sauces, my gosh. Yummy! We also ordered two sides - mashed potato and good ol' baked mac and cheese - and those tasted pretty awesome. 

We definitely were not expecting any dessert, seeing as we didn't order any and after the steak we were pretty stuffed, but seeing that cold sweetness in front of me changed my mind about it. And was I glad I made the space in my tummy! Light and sweet. It was the perfect finale to such a heavy meal.

I may just sweet talk my dad into letting us eat here again before I leave. Check out their online menu. That alone is enough to make your mouth water and crave for some juicy steak.

Now, don't be fooled that just because you're in Cambodia, food prices are that cheap. My dad probably paid around $90 that night. Compared to other Asian countries such as Vietnam, it is a tad pricy. If it's worth it though, you be the judge.

So, if you ever find yourself in Phnom Penh (or Ho Chi Minh City) craving some meat, I suggest you try this place out.

Happy discovering!

No comments:

Post a Comment