Tuesday, 17 June 2014

Mike's Burger House - Phnom Penh's Best

When my parents told me that we lived close to the place where the best burger in Cambodia can be found, I didn't wait around to go check it out. 

Mike's Burger House was founded by Mike Chenda Im in 2009 who migrated back from the States after more than 30 years with his wife. Mike's was established after the owner's wife Borey, missed the taste of In-N-Out's burgers. How sweet, no?

The joint was featured on CNN Travel in September last year, and naturally, everyone wanted a taste of the In-N-Out burger that wasn't exactly from In-N-Out.

Mike's Burger House can be found next to a Sokimex gas station, though you'd have to know the specific one - you can't find it anywhere else. 
315 Sokimex Station, Russian Blvd., Phnom Penh

So many drinks to choose from!


Lining the walls of the place are news articles boasting their delicious burgers, so it's a no brainer that if you want a good burger, this is the place to go.

Mike's Burger House is very modest - nothing fancy and eye-catching about the place really. You won't find a mascot waving to you outside the joint or any of those gimmicks to lure in the little kids. Compared to major food joints such as KFC and McDonald's, it's a small space but it's big enough to cater to those who want to try the 'best burger in town'. 

When you enter, you'll see the whole right wall lined with different products from the States - boxes of Cheerios, protein powder, Hershey's chocolate and strawberry syrup. Heck, they even have air freshener there! To my knowledge only selected items on the shelves are on sale. The rest are supplies they use.

They've got a variety of different burgers and sides to try out so deciding what to eat can be a bit of a challenge. Seeing as my parents had already tried this place out, I let them decide what we were getting and they went with the Classic American Bacon Burger and Nachos Supreme. 



The burger - what can I say? It was great. The patty was real juicy and absolutely mouth-watering. I was just disappointed that there wasn't as much bacon as I had hoped but that's just me. It's definitely enough to fill you up. The nachos? Quite a small serving if I'm being honest, but satisfying nonetheless.

As far as the price goes, again, compared to other Asian countries, it's a bit more pricy, my dad shelling out $20 for three burgers and nachos. Worth it though, I must say.

Now I'm not going to lie - I've had better burgers. But that's just my opinion on one burger. Perhaps I'm going to have to go back and try the others. But as for Mike's being the place to get the best burgers in town? I would definitely have to agree. 

So again, if you ever find yourself in Phnom Penh, I would suggest trying out the town's best because heck, why not? It's a must. 

Damn, now I'm craving a burger myself as I write this...

Happy discovering!

No comments:

Post a Comment