Saturday, 27 December 2014

Ippudo Philippines

As I said in my previous post, there's nothing better than trying out new food and well, who could disagree with that? My parents had seriously planned out when and where I would be stuffing my place, and I could not be happier. Next stop in my foodtrip here in the Philippines is Ipuddo Philippines, a ramen-place originally from Hakata, Japan with over 80 branches worldwide to date.

Ippudo was founded by Shigemi Kawahara a.k.a. the Ramen King in 1985, and man I have no doubts about his title. According to its website, Kawahara's reinvention of the Hakata-style tonkotsu ramen is what earned him and Ippudo global acclaim.

I've never been one to eat ramen, mainly cause the ones I've tried before haven't exactly been the greatest, so I was a bit apprehensive trying this place out. But my parents reassured me that it was the best, and well, they weren't wrong. Ipuddo Philippines has ruined all the other ramen places for me, and I could really use some right now as I write this. If only they had an Ippudo branch here in Ottawa...



Ippudo Pork Bun - a steamed bun with braised pork belly and Ippudo's original sauce. My mom's order so I myself don't know what it's like, but she says that it's pretty good and is a great appetizer while waiting for your bowl of nice ol' ramen. 


Now, the Shiromaru Motoaji - Ippudo's original tonkotsu broth with ultra thin noodles, pork loin, bean sprouts, kikurage (a type of mushroom) and bean sprouts. There's also seaweed and an egg, which tops it off amazingly. The creamy broth smells and tastes so good, I can't even...How do I describe this piece of heaven? You have a choice on how you want your noodles to be like (soft, medium, hard or ultra-hard) and though they recommend you have this with ultra-hard noodles, I opted for medium. Secret - I don't like having to chew much, so the softer, the better. That being said, the pork loins are sooo soft and delicious and I could eat this all day, everyday. My gosh, it is amazing! My mom and I are in love with this one.

*drool*

My dad opted for Akamaru Shinaji - Ippudo's original tonkotsu broth with miso paste and garlic oil, also served with ultra-thin noodles, pork belly, kikurage and spring onions. Now this is tastes a bit spicier and stronger than the shiromaru motoaji, so if you want something that's got more of a kick, then you may want to try this one out.

Oroshi Ponzu Gyoza - pan-fried dumplings topped with grated radish and spring onions served with ponzu sauce. Paired with the shiromaru ramen, this tastes even better! Eat this, slurp the broth and eat the noodles. Yum! Try it out when you can!


Yum yum yum!!!

The crazy thing about Ippudo (well, the branch at SM Megamall anyway, so I'm not sure about other places) is how you have to line up outside the restaurant - it is that popular and busy! Thankfully waiting time isn't long, but it does pay to make sure that everyone else you're dining with (be it your parents or friends) are all present so that you can be seated immediately - they have a policy where if not everyone is there yet, you'll have to wait and let complete parties be seated first (fair enough). That being said, serving time is pretty quick given how busy it can get and the staff are pretty friendly - and they'll willingly give you top-notch recommendations if you can't make up your mind.

I'd definitely suggest you come early (just before peak hours) so the wait won't be long. And oh, make sure everyone's there! Do try Ippudo out if you spot a branch anywhere you are - you won't regret it! Now how do I make it until an Ippudo branch makes it way to Ottawa?

Update: A week later, my parents and I made our way to Ippudo again because we love it that much!!! I'm addicted, and I don't care. 

Happy discovering!


No comments:

Post a Comment