I can't believe it's already December! I've done so much in the past three months in terms of uni stuff that the days have felt like they've all morphed into one weird, hazy blur. But yey! Christmas break is around the corner, and all I've got are finals to get through! Woop woop!
Speaking of my Journalism course, I must say - I've never used my bus pass and phone so much. I mean, I've been running around Ottawa shooting interviews and all sorts of clips, calling (and emailing) people here and there for interviews and writing and editing so much that man, I'm pooped. The things we do to produce a story eh?
This year was definitely the eye-opener for me with realizing just how much hard work, effort and patience goes into producing a story. It can be as simple as phoning someone up for an interview as some people think, but heck, it can be so much more.
I've always believed that I was meant for the behind-the-scenes work with filming and editing, and man, this year pretty much solidified my love for it. Operating the camera, framing and setting up shots, and editing sequences were SO FUN. Granted, I hated having to haul the equipment on the bus and I had my moments where I wanted to punch the computer screen out of frustration, but gosh, the experience was thrilling. I know a few of my fellow journo kids get me, so no shame here. Others were meant to be on screen, and others were meant to work behind it. OMG, that was lame but oh well.
I've never appreciated the field as much as I have now! And as physically and mentally exhausting as it can be, nothing beats the excitement of seeing the final product. How cheesy does that sound?
And I really do mean that I've been exploring way more of Ottawa than I thought I ever would. And all because I was chasing down stories for my courses. From shooting at Terry Fox Park to roaming the exhibition halls at the National Gallery of Canada, I've met so many wonderful people and made great relationships with sources. Who would've ever thought that a girl from the other side of the world would be here, talking to all these people and writing news stories?
The highlight of this semester for me would definitely be the newscasts my TV reporting class and I produced a few weeks ago. No surprise, I immediately signed up for the camera jobs and as stressful as the days were, I don't think I've ever laughed and smiled so much. Again, both days did require a little running around the newsroom and Ottawa, but it all payed off. So many things happened on those days, and yes, I'm throwing another cheese ball out there, I've bonded so much more with the other kids in my class.
I may have been on the fence with the whole TV reporting course in the beginning, but now, I know I'm going to miss it. Whether I'll be taking it next year, we'll have to see. On to radio broadcasting next semester!
See? Sentimental family pic of our TV crew right here.
This semester wasn't all about TV reporting. I did get the opportunity to write for a local community paper (exciting!) and get a glimpse into producing stories using online tools. Hence, my weeks were pretty busy (and why I have been quite MIA on here!). Again, all the effort and late nights have paid off, and in all honesty, I'M SO GLAD IT'S ALL OVER. I need a break. Seriously.
With the snow now sticking to the ground and temperature dropping to the negatives, I can't wait to get away from it all for a while, and spend Christmas in hot and humid Philippines. Nothing like spending the holidays with my family, stuffing my face and sleeping in. Oh, my. I'm excited!
And do stay tuned for future 'discovering Ottawa' posts. Just because I have been busy writing stories for my courses doesn't mean I haven't been planning out posts on the places I've visited and things I've done this semester. And hopefully, I can get them out here before the year ends.
Fingers crossed.
What have you been up to in the last two months?
Happy discovering!

No comments:
Post a Comment