Sunday, 21 December 2014

What's In My Bag: Long Haul Trips

Here's a quickie post today cause guess who's homeward bound for the holidays!? Yepp, I've got a long haul trip back to the motherland today, and thought when better than to share what I pack in my handbag to survive over 15 hours on a plane? You read right - over 15 hours. Pure joy.

For reference, I live in Ottawa and have to head over to Toronto (which takes about an hour) to catch the Philippine Airlines plane back to Manila (14ish hours) - which stops over at Vancouver (Toronto - Vancouver = 5 hours) too to pick up the rest of the passengers. Yey. 

If you've noticed from my last travel 'What's In My Bag' post, I love using quite big handbags, cause well, I kind of pack quite a lot (I'm a serious overpacker, but I'm working on it - I promise!). And hey, this is a long haul trip, so I gotta have things to prevent me from dying of boredom. The bag I use is this floral carpet-bag-inspired shopper from Pull & Bear (a brand which I'm uber glad is finally available in the Philippines!) and my gosh, it's got to be the roomiest bag I've ever owned. It's structured but you can definitely fit a lot in there, and plus, it fits underneath the plane seats - while still giving my feet space. Love!

As for its contents, well, I've got:
- Reading material (this one is Black Ice by Becca Fitzpatrick and if you'd seen my Book Wishlist, this was on the top LOL!) I usually bring two books with me, and I'm debating between The Rosie Project by Graeme Simsion and Strange and Ever After by Susan Dennard!
- Earphones and iPhone because who doesn't travel anywhere with their music library?
- Wallet and a smaller pouch (for coins, cause I like having them separate), of course
- My compact tangle teezer (which you can get at Sephora) because I swear, whenever I travel, my hair just... ugh.. it's a knotty mess!
- My skin-care/beauty travel essentials bag (which I'll show more of later on)
- A notebook for list-making, jotting down ideas or any funny anecdotes I hear while on the go 
- And of course, my passport and holder!

Not pictured are my camera (currently charging as I write this), a spare iPhone cable, a portable charger (for my phones, just in case) and a snack or two. I definitely also carry my laptop with me, but that usually gets transferred from my handbag to my hand-carry (you know, the one with wheels) when I can't be bothered to haul it around on my shoulders anymore. I also don't tend to use my laptop while on the plane that much, cause I usually like the inflight entertainment, and I've got my books to occupy my time. Also, I like to sleep during the flight - well, as much as I can in those stiff and cramped spaces anyway. 

Here's a look at my skin-care/emergency kit! Wayy bigger than that pouch from NaRaYa from my last post. I actually got this case from Philippine Airlines last year when for once in my life, I flew business-class (man, that was AH-MAZING!) and I've been using it for travel ever since. It's the classic travel case with three zipped sections (the top one being netted and see-through) and you can hang it (though I wish it was a hook instead of a ring). I don't wear any make-up at all when flying, so it's mainly skincare and miscellaneous little bits that are housed in my case.

Anywho, I tend to keep most of my travel skincare products in the top section - I've got a mini Proactiv moisturizer, Maybelline Baby Lips lip balm, eye drops, a sample of philosophy's Eye Hope eye cream, a Clarins mini skincare set (hand cream, facial wash/serum, and lip treatment), bobby pins and my anti-allergy pills. I also keep a mini rollerball of Kate Spade's Twirl (which I believe is no longer available at Sephora or Ulta, sorry!), for when I get off the plane and want to smell good when I (finally!) see the parentals! In the second section I throw in miscellaneous essentials such as a compact mirror, a headband (and a few spares), dental floss, emergency feminine products (duh!) and boscia facial blotting linens.

In the last section, I throw in a toothbrush and mini toothpaste, emergency medication (for headaches, colds, what have you), a few bandaids, another moisturizer/mask (I'm trying out The Body Shop's Vitamin E moisture cream and the corresponding mask) and a boscia spot treatment pen-thing (also trying this baby out, we'll see how they work). I don't normally use facial wash while I'm on planes, and tend to reach for the Ole Henriksen facial wipes - I'm not into the whole notion of depotting my current facial wash into little pots and using them in the tiny bathrooms. I used to be, then it was just too much of a hassle, especially when they tended to either spill out of the packaging or I couldn't get them out.

As you can probably tell, I'm not one to let my skin go while I'm on the go. I hate that drying feeling airplane environments can have on my face, and of course the stress of traveling for almost 24 hours definitely means my skin will go absolutely crazy. I can't handle that. Just. NO.

So there you go - a look into my long-haul travel handbag! Perhaps reading this has helped you prepare for any future long-haul trips! I know it seems a bit excessive, but it works for me. What do you usually take with you on plane rides?
Happy discovering!


No comments:

Post a Comment