Sunday, 14 December 2014

TLP Reads: Shattered Souls by Mary Lindsey

So I did that thing where I walked into Chapters solely for a cup of some salted caramel latte from Starbucks and walked around, thinking no harm would come out of it, and ended up leaving with a book. Damn. I can't help but be drawn to the teen section, especially the bargain books section - Oh my, they are my downfall. This time round I picked up Shattered Souls by Mary Lindsey on a whim, and I'm pleased. Though the fact that there's a massive sticker on the book cover annoys me to no end! Who else is with me?

---
Lenzi hears voices. She also sees gravestones, floods, a gorgeous guy with steel gray eyes. She knows she must be going crazy, just like her dad did. Her boyfriend, Zak, can't do anything to help, and the voices just keep getting louder, the visions more intense. But when Lenzi meets Alden, the boy from her dreams, everything makes sense. Sort of.
He tells Lenzi that she's a reincarnated Speaker - someone who can talk to lost souls and help them move on - and that he has been her Protector for centuries. But instead of embracing her abilities, Lenzi struggles between her life as the girlfriend of a sexy musician and the life she is destined to lead with Alden. Yet time is running out; a malevolent spirit has been trying to destroy Lenzi for ages, and he will surely kill her if she doesn't make a decision soon. Her choices are clear: Destiny or normalcy. Alden or Zak. Life or death.
(from book-sleeve)
---

 I love anything that's got the whole reincarnation aspect mixed in with some supernatural to it. So I definitely couldn't help myself with this book. There's something about Shattered Souls that feels like a cross between Fallen by Lauren Kate and Meridian by Amber Kizer (pick these two books up if you haven't already, they're pretty awesome!) And I think the mix between the two elements worked really well in this story! It's mystery and action packed, and of course, the romance part just naturally flows. Props to Lindsey for this well-written fantasy novel - and her debut too! Warning though, there may be moments where either you stop reading and collect yourself due to mild frustration or glee. 

 There's quite a lot of mystery interlaced with the narrative, in that main character Lenzi has no clue what's going on around her. Bless her. She's gone through her fair share of misfortune and to be thrown into the paranormal world is probably the last thing she needs. She just wants normal, and you can't blame her. Her dad heard voices, and died and it seems like Lenzi might be going down the same path - until she meets Alden who tells her the whole truth. What I love about her is humour throughout all this! Even though she doubts herself and resigns to doing origami or singing with her musician boyfriend at first, she manages to keep her wits, joke around and accept (almost) everything that comes with her new job. Not going to lie, I had a few moments where I wanted to knock some sense into Lenzi, but most of the time I was internally screaming 'Atta girl!'

And I do have to mention Rose - Lenzi's past life self. Rose is the hardcore, kick-ass Speaker who takes her job seriously, a far cry from Lenzi. But as the story unravels, so does Rose's life before she died. And man, I would've loved to have been friends with her. She falls under the whole 'tough exterior but secretly a passionate softy' character, and again, it just works! Plus, her 19th Century self was pretty sassy too, so she gets an extra brownie point.

And oh, I just have to include this:
"I opened the door for him without speaking, afraid of saying something stupid. I was jealous. The problem was that the other woman was me."
- Lenzi, Chapter 9 (context: Alden has just showed her some past memories)
This had me laughing. Hard. And she says something along those lines again later on, which had me giggling once again. My roommates love me.

I love how the narrative moves between the past and present Lenzi here and there, so we really see that big change in her character's demeanor. My favourite parts have definitely got to be the flashbacks, where in Lenzi allows Alden's soul (as well as Maddie'd and Race's, two other Protectors we meet) to enter her body and show her long forgotten memories. Be it pleasant or terrifying ones, I loved them all. It sounds absolutely creepy, but I really, really enjoyed them! It's as if readers are experiencing and learning from the past too. Definitely an interesting and captivating way of learning about the different reincarnated characters in the story. 

Now, Alden and Zak. Well' let's talk about Zak first. When he's first introduced in the story, you know right away he's the kind of guy you'd be proud to have as your boyfriend - caring, supportive and to be blunt, hot. He's a guitarist who sings (and writes!) songs to his girlfriend too, so what girl would not swoon? He's perfectly unperfect in a way. But in all honesty, in any other story I'd be all over it but in this one, it didn't sit right with me. Like Lenzi, he's got quite the rough life, so they do seem like the perfect pair but it all goes awry and fuzzy moments before Lenzi even meets Alden. And from there it all goes downhill for the two - not in a super catastrophic 'I Hate You' type of way, but it just runs its course. That being said, you can really tell Zak loves Lenzi, so it was totally justified Zak did the things he did. And even though I wasn't head over heels for him, I did feel sorry for him. A guy like Zak deserves a happy ending, no?

So if it wasn't obvious enough, I am Team Alden for the win. The moment where he and Lenzi meet had me laughing, and the early interactions between the two pretty much had me responding in the same way. Even though the whole 'dealing with dead' topic is quite dark and serious, something about the two made it seem humorous - in the beginning anyway. Like Zak, Alden's supportive and caring, but in another way that Lenzi/Rose also needs. After all, he's meant to protect her from all the bad and scary ghosts threatening to hurt and kill her. And he's witty too. To be completely honest, he gives off the whole Edward Cullen vibe (minus the sparkling, watch-you-sleep vampire aspect) in the way that he's old (well, reincarnated, but still), devoted and fearless. Essentially, he's perfect. He'd do anything for Lenzi/Rose *hint, hint* and who wouldn't fall for him too?

"I love the school uniform. You have great legs."
"Shut up!" I gasped. "I thought you were an old man!"
"Old soul. Young man. Big difference."
- Alden & Lenzi, Chapter 16
Come on, it's funny! 

The only real problem for me was the ending. Well, parts of it anyway. I don't want to spoil anything, but something that happens towards the end just didn't sit right with me. It felt too quick and random, and though it lends to the whole redemption part of the story, it could've been dealt with better. Or maybe just never happened. And the circumstances they happen in? Way too convenient. It may just be me, but if you've already read Shattered Souls, you may know which part I'm talking about.

And then there's Smith, a malevolent spirit who's out to kill Lenzi. Oh my god, his character creeped me out so bad! Though the moments we have with him are quite intense, we never hear from him again. Why does this bother me? It means that the story isn't finished and Lindsey's writing a sequel - there's another book. Yes, I do want to know what happens, but I don't know if I can handle the anxiety of trying to get the next installment in this series. Darn it. 

But hey, Shattered Souls as a whole was pretty darn good. Shattered Souls pretty easy to read, and there's enough tension and mystery, with the occasional humorous break, within the pages that keeps you reading to the end. Overall, it's got great characters, a compelling narrative and a good romance/action ratio, so I'd definitely recommend this. If you're into the concept of reincarnation and the paranormal, do give this a go. I do realize Shattered Souls won't exactly be to everyone's fantasy genre tastes, but I do give this two thumbs up. And if it's on sale (like mine was when I picked it up), the more reason to check it out.

Found any good reads this month?
Happy discovering!


No comments:

Post a Comment