My god. I cannot believe that after six years, Glee is coming to an end. I'm still in denial that the cast and crew have wrapped up, and soon, I'll be crying as I watch its final episode. Ever. Just seeing their posts on Twitter and Instagram has seriously got me feeling down, and I can't imagine how I'll feel the minute the final credits roll.
So fair warning, this is going to be a cheesy, but heart-felt, post on a show that changed my life.
I'll admit, I didn't follow Glee the minute the series premiered. I was probably like, ten or eleven episodes behind until I got into it. I remember all my friends talking about the musical numbers and characters, and soon, I got sucked in pretty bad. A club that was all about misfits uniting and bonding over music? Characters who I could see parts of myself in and high school drama I could relate to? And you know, amazing numbers that make me want to burst out into song as well?
Count me in!
Glee became my guilty pleasure - heck, it became an addiction once Season 2 rolled in and we were introduced to the Dalton Academy Warblers. Especially Darren Criss. I'd seen him before as 'Harry Potter' from the Starkid productions of A Very Potter Musical (if you haven't seen it yet, YOU MUST!), and my GOD, he's amazing. Is it obvious I've developed a serious crush ever since? Hah! That's not to say that the other guys aren't as good-looking. Or talented. Seriously though, you've got a whole bunch of handsome dudes with amazing voices. Like, seriously. Cheers to the ladies as well. I've got a huge girl crush on both Lea Michele and Dianna Agron, LOL!
Moving back to the point, I connected so much with the characters from Glee. Rachel Berry's drive and passion to follow her dreams, Santana's sassiness and wit, Finn's concern for his family and friends, Artie's smarts and leadership, Brittany's quirky one-liners ... I could go on for days. I laughed with them, cried for them, and sang along with them every single time. Heck, I still do the latter when a song comes up on my iPod. And as much as some of them frustrated me, I loved every single one of them, and it sucks so bad to know I'll no longer see them on TV regularly.
Of course, that's not to say that Glee was perfect. I admit, there were a few episodes here and there that weren't as great, and Season 4 and the first half of Season 5 was a bit of a let down. Yes, I was one of those who weren't as thrilled with the new characters - especially as they were meant to 'replace' the graduated class to a certain extent. I wasn't too happy about that. But the new characters they introduced this final season? Damn! I wish we could get to know them for longer!
During the weeks I was struggling to adapt and adjust to university during my first year, I turned to Glee to calm me down. I watched and re-watched episodes (yes, I have all the episodes!) and constantly put their songs on repeat. What can I say, I'm a die-hard Gleek. I even have their Glee 3D Concert Movie poster hanging on my wall as we speak.
And I did learn lessons from each one of the characters (and episodes) about life, love and following your passions. I learned to accept myself as I am - to accept the flaws and focus on my strengths. I learned to forgive and move on, because there's no point in dwelling on past mistakes. I learned that no matter what, true friendship is what matters, especially in times of struggle. I learned to not give up and to not take things, and people, for granted. And knowing that other people learned those same lessons, well, just goes to show how amazing and powerful this show was.
I think the episode that sticks out the most to me would be the Season 3 finale, when about half of the members graduated - Rachel, Finn, Kurt, Mercedes, Puck, Santana, Quinn and Mike (is it sad I didn't have to look that up and knew who graduated off by heart?) Why you ask? Because I graduated that same year 'with' them. Only a few days apart too when that episode came out. All the emotions they were feeling, I felt. It seems crazy to say, but it was like the show - well, that episode - really got me. The fear, the excitement, the anxiety of having to leave home and face the unknown? Man, I remember crying pretty hard at that 'Roots Before Branches' number at the end. And I remember my parents coming home from dinner and walking in to the living room to find me with my swollen eyes and wet tissues. Yep, I was quite the sight.
Glee had me feeling all sorts of emotions every season. I laughed so hard when Holly Holiday taught the Glee students about safe sex (or when Sue and Will would go at it like little kids), I squealed so much when Kurt and Blaine finally got together (then back together the countless times they did), I pumped my fist when Rachel received an amazing review after her premiere as Fanny Brice. And how could I forget that Season 5 episode, where they did a tribute to Cory Monteith? Gosh, that was a real tear jerker too. Heck, thinking about it know makes me sad. I remember watching the episode on my laptop and crying about 20 seconds into it. And then again every five minutes. Glee was a roller coaster of emotions, I can tell you that.
So, as an ode to one of my all-time favourite shows, here's a playlist of my top 10 favourite musical numbers from the series:
Teenage Dream (Season 2, Episode 6 - Never Been Kissed)
Don't You Want Me Baby (Season 2, Episode 14 - Blame It On the Alcohol)
Roots Before Branches (Season 3, Episode 22 - Goodbye)
Cold Hearted (Season 4, Episode 16 - Feud)
Love Shack (Season 3, Episode 13 - Heart)
Hold On (Season 5, Episode 10 - Trio)
Don't Dream It's Over (Season 4, Episode 9 - Swan Song)
Make You Feel My Love (Season 5, Episode 3 - The Quarterback)
For Good (Season 2, Episode 22 - New York)
Man in the Mirror (Season 3, Episode 8 - Hold On to Sixteen)
And as a bonus, because how could I not include this,
Don't Stop Believing (Season 1, Episode 1 - Pilot)
From one Gleek to another, I feel your pain on how this show that meant to much to us is sadly coming to an end. But let's remember all the good times we spent watching every single episode, and singing along to every song. And for the lucky ones who've actually seen them perform live (you lucky bums), remember the happiness you felt as you watched them sing their hearts out.
And if you aren't as much as a die-hard fan as me, or just flat-out hated the show, well, don't diss my post. Cause it's coming from deep within my heart. And I'm sure there are things out there you love as much as I do Glee. But who knows? Why not give this show a second chance?
I know this is quite the early farewell, but come March 20, when the characters take their final bow, I don't know if I can handle writing anything about it after watching. Too many feels, guys. I already know it. I'm going to need some time to recover.
Don't stop believing, guys.
Arianna x




No comments:
Post a Comment