So one of the biggest events during the winter in Ottawa and Gatineau areas is Winterlude, an annual three-week festival that 'celebrates winter'. It's probably one of the biggest 'tourist' events in Ottawa, attracting quite a lot of people every year. It was first created in 1979 I believe, and the biggest attraction would have to be the Rideau Canal which during this time of year, is the world's largest skating rink. No lie.
In the three years I have lived here in Ottawa, this is probably the only thing I look forward to during the winter, besides my birthday of course. This year's Winterlude took place on Jan. 30 and ran until Feb. 16 and naturally, I tried to see and do as much as I could.
Now, I went on the Rideau Canal my first year for the Paint the Canal Red (a Carleton University event), and god, I really need to learn how to skate. Yes, in the three years I've been here, I still don't know how to balance my sorry butt on a pair of skates. What did I do when I went on my first year? I walked on the side, where the snow was, got off on the next stop and hopped on the bus and met up with my friends at Rideau Centre. Sad, I know. Maybe next year. Or never. We'll see.
In the three years I have lived here in Ottawa, this is probably the only thing I look forward to during the winter, besides my birthday of course. This year's Winterlude took place on Jan. 30 and ran until Feb. 16 and naturally, I tried to see and do as much as I could.
Now, I went on the Rideau Canal my first year for the Paint the Canal Red (a Carleton University event), and god, I really need to learn how to skate. Yes, in the three years I've been here, I still don't know how to balance my sorry butt on a pair of skates. What did I do when I went on my first year? I walked on the side, where the snow was, got off on the next stop and hopped on the bus and met up with my friends at Rideau Centre. Sad, I know. Maybe next year. Or never. We'll see.
The first place I went to was Snowflake Kingdom over at Jacques-Cartier Park in Gatineau. I'd gone with a handful of other international students from Carleton University, and man, it was an experience. I believe it was -30 when we out that day, so I was pretty darn cold. But it made for a great adventure. Not only did we get lost on the way there (like, I'm not kidding - we ended up having to walk on the bridge connecting Ottawa and Gatineau to make sure we ended up in the right place), but we were dealing with the freezing cold. Can you imagine that - eight international students who are from tropical places, playing around in -30C weather. My fingers and toes were so cold! Our hot chocolates weren't enough to warm us up the minute we got to Snowflake Kingdom.
But it was a blast. Granted, one of the reasons I had gone was to write a story about it for one of my journalism classes, but I really did have a great time. I finally tried maple taffy, carved my name in ice and met a whole bunch of cool people. There was so much to do that we were actually quite overwhelmed. There were a whole bunch of super slides to try, a maze, and all sorts of entertainment! Decisions, decisions, decisions. So despite the cold and the fact I had to write a story about it that same night, it was a great memory.
Funny story here - I had never really had to deal with having to go out in such weather. I'd normally just snuggle up under the covers with tea and a good book. So I was not prepared for the minute both my phones shut down once we got to Snowflake Kingdom. BECAUSE OF THE DARN COLD. Thankfully I didn't have to use them, but it was a pain warming them up and trying to get them to start. So you know, be prepared for that. Cause I certainly was not.
But it was a blast. Granted, one of the reasons I had gone was to write a story about it for one of my journalism classes, but I really did have a great time. I finally tried maple taffy, carved my name in ice and met a whole bunch of cool people. There was so much to do that we were actually quite overwhelmed. There were a whole bunch of super slides to try, a maze, and all sorts of entertainment! Decisions, decisions, decisions. So despite the cold and the fact I had to write a story about it that same night, it was a great memory.
Funny story here - I had never really had to deal with having to go out in such weather. I'd normally just snuggle up under the covers with tea and a good book. So I was not prepared for the minute both my phones shut down once we got to Snowflake Kingdom. BECAUSE OF THE DARN COLD. Thankfully I didn't have to use them, but it was a pain warming them up and trying to get them to start. So you know, be prepared for that. Cause I certainly was not.
Maple taffy goodness! If you don't know what this whole thing is, basically they pour hot maple on to the snow (clean, I have been assured) and they roll it up in sticks and you get this amazing sweet treat. And I'm not kidding on how sweet these things are - this is pretty much your whole sugar intake for the month! Each one cost $3, which may seem a bit pricey, but god, it takes a while to eat cause it's so sticky and sweet. Make sure to drink some water after!
One of the other main attractions is Confederation Park, where every year, they've got the Crystal Garden - essentially, a whole bunch of ice sculptures in one place. And the people who make them are crazy talented!
They also hold a whole bunch of other events here, what with the huge concert stage set up and all that. I remember how in 2013 they had a K-pop night, and my roommates and I went out and danced to lyrics I didn't understand but was pretty familiar with. So, so fun! They didn't have artists or live performances per se (they really just had DJ), but it was so great meeting and dancing with so many other people who like K-pop. Not to say I'm a big fan of the genre, but I do appreciate a good dance beat now and then.
Maple taffy again!!!
A few of the ice sculptures on exhibit were actually carved out by international artists, such as this one by Julio Martinez, an artist from Mexico.
The Rideau Canal with skaters!!! One of these days, I will be there. I promise.
So if you're ever in the Ottawa or Gatineau areas during the late January-early February winter, you have definitely got to check out Winterlude. There is no admission to (most of) the main attractions, so you've got a fun, free pass at experiencing what the winter time is like here. Just make sure to bundle up, mentally prepare yourself and keep your electronics warm or else they'll shut off like mine did while I was over at Snowflake Kingdom. I wasn't kidding about the cold. At all.
So if you're ever in the Ottawa or Gatineau areas during the late January-early February winter, you have definitely got to check out Winterlude. There is no admission to (most of) the main attractions, so you've got a fun, free pass at experiencing what the winter time is like here. Just make sure to bundle up, mentally prepare yourself and keep your electronics warm or else they'll shut off like mine did while I was over at Snowflake Kingdom. I wasn't kidding about the cold. At all.
Not kidding about carving my name too, by the way, on a big block of snow at Snowflake Kingdom. Haha!
Happy discovering!


No comments:
Post a Comment