It's absolutely no secret that I'm a huge fan of Rainbow Rowell's (you can check out my other reviews here) so here I am with her latest book Landline - yet another great read that had me tearing up, literally laughing out loud and kicking my feet up in glee. And yes, I'm serious about that last part. I'd originally been eyeing this since last summer but I never got around to picking it up until the Christmas holidays. It's been on my book wish list for so long that man, I can't even begin to describe the immense sense of satisfaction I felt when a copy finally called my bookshelf home. And the even more intense sense of satisfaction I felt after reading it? Damn...
---
Georgie McCool knows her marriage is in trouble. That it's been in trouble for a long time. She still loves her husband, Neal, and Neal still loves her, deeply - but that almost seems besides the point now. Maybe that was always besides the point. Two days before they're supposed to visit Neal's family in Omaha for Christmas, Georgie tells Neal that she can't go. She's a TV writer, and something's come up on her show; she has to stay in Los Angeles. She knows that Neal will be upset with her - Neal is always a little upset with Georgie - but she doesn't expect him to pack up the kids and go without her.
When her husband and the kids leave for the airport, Georgie wonders if she's finally done it. If she's ruined everything. That night, Georgie discovers a way to communicate with Neal in the past. It's not time travel, not exactly, but she feels like she's been given an opportunity to fix her marriage before it starts ... is that what she's supposed to do? Or would Georgie and Neal be better off if their marriage never happened?
When her husband and the kids leave for the airport, Georgie wonders if she's finally done it. If she's ruined everything. That night, Georgie discovers a way to communicate with Neal in the past. It's not time travel, not exactly, but she feels like she's been given an opportunity to fix her marriage before it starts ... is that what she's supposed to do? Or would Georgie and Neal be better off if their marriage never happened?
---
The ending to me was quite predictable from the start, but then again, aren't all love stories like that? So I can't hold that against Landline. It's the cheesy cliche that gets you all giddy and makes you melt with happiness. But it's the kind that we all love. But what I really think made Landline such a great read was the build up to its ending. How everything fit into Georgie and Neal's timeline. How it unravelled and came together for both of them. I recall squeals, fist pumps and big grins going on as I turned the last few pages of this book.
Another thing that really lent to its amazing narrative was the flip between the past and present. From 18 year old, aspiring comedy writer Georgie who knows what she wants to 40 year old yet is now doubting everything Georgie. The switch between these two versions of Georgie isn't confusing at all, and gives readers a great glimpse as to who she is as a whole. In fact, who she was in college and who she is in present day are pretty much the same - she's still passionate about her work, insanely in love with Neal, and hopeful that all her aspirations can be reached. Well, with a few bumps in the road, she's certainly attained quite a lot of her goals. Married with two kids and a kickass job (literally) as a screenwriter, she's living the dream. Well, almost.
The realization that she's thrown herself too much into her career and forgetting about her family (I wouldn't say neglecting, but she really isn't around as much) is such a pivotal moment for Georgie. And that's what I think makes Georgie such a relatable character. She's someone who's driven, passionate and talented - but she's also someone who has forgotten the things that really matter to her. How many times have we, in general, lost sight of the important things in life because of our strive. Not to say that chasing your dream isn't important, but taking back the things we took for granted can be an even bigger struggle. Georgie, by some yellow telephone teleporting miracle, was able to really see the bigger picture once she took a humongous step back.
Makes me wonder where I can get a rotary telephone like that to store in the back of my closet and take out when circumstances call for it.
And even though we don't see much of present day Neal in the story, college Neal is another character everyone will love too. Admittedly, I wasn't so sure about his character (as in, present day daddy Neal) when he was first introduced as he came off as a bit insensitive and cold. But my gosh, I regret ever feeling that way. College Neal is pretty much the type of guy we want to have around in our lives - he's talented, witty, supportive and such a great person in general. And once we see just how much he and Georgie went through, I started to feel really sympathetic to his character. It's amazing he's done what he has, and man, you really can't help but get bit emotional once Neal lays it all out for Georgie - the countless number of times that he does.
"This person on the other end of the line was Neal as he was. Before he was quite hers. When he was still circling the possibility of Georgie. This Neal was harsher. Paler. Had a shorter temper. Bit this Neal hadn't given up on her yet. This Neal still looked at Georgie like she was something brand-new and supernatural. He was still surprised by her, delighted with her. Even now, as frustrated as he was." p. 166
And I cannot write this without mentioning Seth, Georgie's best friend since college and writing partner, who provides so much comic relief throughout this story - both his college and present-self. Like Georgie, he's super witty and talented, and not to mention good looking. It's no wonder he slept around during his college days. But whenever Georgie needed him (or anytime really), he's there providing snarky yet humorous remarks. Present Seth is pretty cool too, and he definitely hasn't lost his sassy and cool demeanor. Perhaps what I loved most about him was how caring and sensitive he was, despite his demeanor. Seth's been there with Georgie through thick and thin, and man, if I didn't love Neal so much, I would be rooting for Georgie and Seth. But no.
Seth never talked about the Saturday-morning girls now, but Georgie assumed the parade marched on.
"Thanks," he said. "For pushing through today. I know that something is seriously fucked up with you."
Georgie unplugged her phone.
"And it's killing me that you won't talk about it," he said.
"I'm sorry."
"I don't want you to be sorry, Georgie - I want you to be funny."
- pg. 151, Georgie and Seth, present day
The witty one-liners and humourous conversations the characters found themselves in (and I mean all of them, from Georgie to her mother to her daughters Alice and Noomi) really made this story. Despite all the drama and verging-on-tears situations, Rowell really gave readers that sense of hope that things would turn out all right in the end. There was just that right touch of humour that kept me going through this story, and man, it was such a delight reading this.
Landline serves as a great reminder that nothing is more important than family and true love. Being able to know what you want and what you're willing to do for it is an amazing trait, and it sure helps when you've got friends supporting you (or perhaps, taunting you lightly) every step of the way. Rowell definitely gives readers a chance to figure out and reflect on their lives - their past decisions, their future and the realization that even if we could try and change things, we'll always end up wherever we're supposed to. With whomever we're supposed to be with.
Unsurprisingly, I'm giving this two gigantic thumbs up. If I had more thumbs, they'd all be up too. Landline was just such a captivating read that I'm sure anyone who picks this up will love it as much as I do, regardless if you can actually relate to Georgie McCool's situation. Heck, I'm only 20 years old, but I couldn't help but tear up during Georgie's meltdowns and emotional struggles. The characters, the pacing, switching narratives and descriptions are magical and touching. Rowell has done it yet again and tugged at my heart strings, and I love her even more for that.
So if you're in the market for a nice inspiring and thoughtful read, I'd definitely suggest you check this one out. Maybe you'll find a little magic within its pages like I did.
And seriously, where can I get me one of those magic rotary telephones?
Happy discovering!
The realization that she's thrown herself too much into her career and forgetting about her family (I wouldn't say neglecting, but she really isn't around as much) is such a pivotal moment for Georgie. And that's what I think makes Georgie such a relatable character. She's someone who's driven, passionate and talented - but she's also someone who has forgotten the things that really matter to her. How many times have we, in general, lost sight of the important things in life because of our strive. Not to say that chasing your dream isn't important, but taking back the things we took for granted can be an even bigger struggle. Georgie, by some yellow telephone teleporting miracle, was able to really see the bigger picture once she took a humongous step back.
Makes me wonder where I can get a rotary telephone like that to store in the back of my closet and take out when circumstances call for it.
And even though we don't see much of present day Neal in the story, college Neal is another character everyone will love too. Admittedly, I wasn't so sure about his character (as in, present day daddy Neal) when he was first introduced as he came off as a bit insensitive and cold. But my gosh, I regret ever feeling that way. College Neal is pretty much the type of guy we want to have around in our lives - he's talented, witty, supportive and such a great person in general. And once we see just how much he and Georgie went through, I started to feel really sympathetic to his character. It's amazing he's done what he has, and man, you really can't help but get bit emotional once Neal lays it all out for Georgie - the countless number of times that he does.
"This person on the other end of the line was Neal as he was. Before he was quite hers. When he was still circling the possibility of Georgie. This Neal was harsher. Paler. Had a shorter temper. Bit this Neal hadn't given up on her yet. This Neal still looked at Georgie like she was something brand-new and supernatural. He was still surprised by her, delighted with her. Even now, as frustrated as he was." p. 166
And I cannot write this without mentioning Seth, Georgie's best friend since college and writing partner, who provides so much comic relief throughout this story - both his college and present-self. Like Georgie, he's super witty and talented, and not to mention good looking. It's no wonder he slept around during his college days. But whenever Georgie needed him (or anytime really), he's there providing snarky yet humorous remarks. Present Seth is pretty cool too, and he definitely hasn't lost his sassy and cool demeanor. Perhaps what I loved most about him was how caring and sensitive he was, despite his demeanor. Seth's been there with Georgie through thick and thin, and man, if I didn't love Neal so much, I would be rooting for Georgie and Seth. But no.
Seth never talked about the Saturday-morning girls now, but Georgie assumed the parade marched on.
"Thanks," he said. "For pushing through today. I know that something is seriously fucked up with you."
Georgie unplugged her phone.
"And it's killing me that you won't talk about it," he said.
"I'm sorry."
"I don't want you to be sorry, Georgie - I want you to be funny."
- pg. 151, Georgie and Seth, present day
The witty one-liners and humourous conversations the characters found themselves in (and I mean all of them, from Georgie to her mother to her daughters Alice and Noomi) really made this story. Despite all the drama and verging-on-tears situations, Rowell really gave readers that sense of hope that things would turn out all right in the end. There was just that right touch of humour that kept me going through this story, and man, it was such a delight reading this.
Landline serves as a great reminder that nothing is more important than family and true love. Being able to know what you want and what you're willing to do for it is an amazing trait, and it sure helps when you've got friends supporting you (or perhaps, taunting you lightly) every step of the way. Rowell definitely gives readers a chance to figure out and reflect on their lives - their past decisions, their future and the realization that even if we could try and change things, we'll always end up wherever we're supposed to. With whomever we're supposed to be with.
Unsurprisingly, I'm giving this two gigantic thumbs up. If I had more thumbs, they'd all be up too. Landline was just such a captivating read that I'm sure anyone who picks this up will love it as much as I do, regardless if you can actually relate to Georgie McCool's situation. Heck, I'm only 20 years old, but I couldn't help but tear up during Georgie's meltdowns and emotional struggles. The characters, the pacing, switching narratives and descriptions are magical and touching. Rowell has done it yet again and tugged at my heart strings, and I love her even more for that.
So if you're in the market for a nice inspiring and thoughtful read, I'd definitely suggest you check this one out. Maybe you'll find a little magic within its pages like I did.
And seriously, where can I get me one of those magic rotary telephones?
Happy discovering!
No comments:
Post a Comment