Alright, so with all the hype that 50 Shades of Grey is getting (I mean, it's coming out tomorrow, or today or whatever depending on where you are), I thought it'd be apt I write a post about it - makeup wise that is.
Now just before I go in to this, I have to admit, I have never read any of the books. Truth be told, I own the first book, but only got to reading the first 50 pages or so before I gave up and moved on to something else. I definitely remember all the raves (and well, disses) people were giving the trilogy all over social media and well, it's a classic case of you either love it or hate it. I for one, am totally neutral. Not a fangirl, but not a hater either. To each their own, people.
But, I totally caved once I found out there was going to be a makeup line coming out just before the movie was due to be released. Make Up For Ever released four exclusive limited edition movie tie-in sets in December, and man, they are pretty awesome. And really great deals too! Apparently the movie's makeup artist used a whole bunch of MUFE products to create Ana's looks for the movies, and that's what these sets are inspired by. I was only really interested in three of the sets, so check them out:
Tease Me Innocent Nude Lip Trio Set ($32US/$38CAD) - comes with a Aqua Lip waterproof lipliner in 3C, Aqua Rouge waterproof liquid lip colour in 3 and Lab Shine shimmering lip gloss in D16. This has got to be hands down my favourite of the three sets I got my hands on.
The lipliner I think is the perfect nude liner that matches any skin tone, and you could honestly pair it with any other nude lipstick you've got (or just wear it all over as a lipstick). It's that awesome. I also really love the berry lipliner from the Passionate lip trio, and again, that's something that can be used with any berry lipstick you've got. The colours they picked out for the lipliners in each set just work with things you've got in your collection!
I was really impressed with the Aqua Rouge liquid lipsticks! I'd never been a fan of wearing liquid stuff on my lips, but I am a total convert. They are crazy pigmented (after swatching them on my hand, it took me a while to scrub them off with my Bioderma makeup remover, no joke!), dry down quickly and no fuss products. It stays put and you don't have to worry about touching up for like 4-5 hours. You can wear it as is if you want a more matte look, but you could apply the gloss (on the other end of the products) for a more shiny sheen. These babies are so great! You can check out swatches below!
As for the lipgloss? Well, I like them. Like I said, never been a fan of putting liquid products on my lips (and putting gloss as a matter of fact), but I really like these. The nude gloss from the Innocent set is quite sheer, with flecks of gold shimmer that really take the mauve/nude lip look to a whole new level that is still quite subtle. The berry one? Well damn, that's shiny stuff so if you like your gloss, you're going to like this one. It's very pink and quite opaque, with fleck of silver that definitely catch the light.
Did I mention how all the three products from the lip sets are full size? How amazing of a deal is that?
Tease Me Passionate Berry Lip Trio Set - comes with a Aqua Lip waterproof lipliner in 10C, Aqua Rouge waterproof liquid lip colour in 50 and Lab Shine shimmering lip gloss in D4.
Swatches
Above - Passionate Berry Lip Trio (Aqua Rouge lip colour in 50, Aqua Lip liner in 10C and Lab Shine gloss in D4)
Below - Innocent Nude Lip Trio (Aqua Rouge lip colour in 3, Aqua Lip liner in 3C and Lab Shine gloss in D16)
Desire Me Cheeky Blush Trio Set ($56CAD) - comes up with a trio of S-748, I-808 and I-526) a mini 150 precision blush brush and exclusive keepsake pouch. Valued at $128CAD, how could I not grab this set? A trio costs about $50, and this deal has that plus a mini brush and keepsake pouch. HOW COULD YOU NOT?
I'd been eyeing a few MUFE shadows for quite some time now, so when I came across this set, I saw it as a sign and the perfect opportunity to try them out. Blush wise, they are definitely the sorts of colours I gravitate to. You've got your highlighter and a choice between pink or coral/orange for the cheeks. That's awesome. I also love the fact that they can double as eyeshadows (given that you know, two of the products are actually marketed as eyeshadows - the pink and orange), so you've got your bases covered with this set. Again, they are pretty pigmented and stay on for quite some time (I got mine to last a good 5-6 hours for a full day).
Now the brush? Well, I wouldn't really recommend using the brush to apply the blushes. Granted, it's super soft and nice on the skin, but it barely picks up the product. You can use your own brushes to apply these blushes. That's not to say the 150 blush brush is no good, but you can use it for applying your face powder instead. That's just my personal opinion of course.
And the pouch? Pretty damn good quality! It's super soft and roomy so you can fit quite a lot of products in it. And I love the little touch of 50 Shades of Grey on it with the key. It feels quite luxe and sturdy. What I would put in it, I personally have no idea as I've got enough makeup bags lying around, but we'll see.
How gorgeous do the colours look in the pan? *drool*
Swatches!
Desire Me Cheeky Blush Trio - S-748, I-808 and I-526 (on my MAC NC40/Clinique Honey skin for reference).
If I were to judge the book/movie based on the makeup line alone, well, I would give it an A+ because damn, these colours are great! Overall, I give these sets two thumbs up - both for quality and price. So, even if you aren't a fan of the books, I'd definitely suggest you try these babies out. And if you haven't tried Make Up For Ever, these sets are a great way of testing them out. All the sets come with 'How to Achieve the Look' guides, so that's a bonus if you aren't quite sure what to do - especially with the blush set. All in all, they are worth every single penny - you won't regret it.
The sets are available both in stores and online over at Sephora. Get them while you can!
Happy discovering!
PS, if you do end up getting the other mahoosive set from the line (and by that I mean the one that's got the quad, mascara, eyeliner and all that jazz), what do you think? Is that worth it too?
And of course, who's going to see the movie?
No comments:
Post a Comment