Friday, 4 July 2014

Brown Coffee and Bakery, Phnom Penh

 After the high that was Ho Chi Minh City, my mom and I decided to do something a little more low-key and less tiring. What better than to have a lunch date at Brown Coffee and Bakery?

Brown Coffee and Bakery was established in 2009 by five Cambodian men (and their high-school friends) all under the age of 30. Today it is one of the fastest growing coffee shop chains in Phnom Penh. I'd say they were like the Starbucks of Phnom Penh, as they're pretty much everywhere you look!

This particular branch we went to just opened on June 27 of this year - just a week ago. My dad actually visited this one the day before for lunch, and immediately said we had to check it out. What's funny about it is how there's another (smaller) Brown Coffee and Bakery branch just across the street, and another about two blocks away. And despite being so close to one another, there were tons of people in each store. Goes to show you how popular they are!

Brown Coffee and Bakery
#23, St. 57, Phnom Penh

I dream to have a chalkboard wall to doodle on!


 Absolutely loving that light fixture! I'd take it home if I could. A whole lot of their decor involves metal and wood, giving off that industrial and modern feel. 


 It's undeniable that Brown Coffee and Bakery is one of the places to go if you want to chillax and surf the net while sipping on a latte. There were a number of people with their laptops and Ipads out and I kind of felt out of place with my measly notebook on the table.


 As always, I got myself a caramel latte. Or was it hazelnut? Ack, either way, it tasted amazing! I gotta say, it tasted better than the one I got at Paul's BrewHouse. 

 Ordered myself their fish burger. Admittedly, it doesn't look that appetizing here, what with the pale brown bun, but it was delicious!!! If you're a fan of some fish in your burger with a little bit of a kick, try this one out. Looks can be deceiving, you know. 

 My mom got the Brown burger and according to her, it's a two thumbs up! Oh, and their fries are pretty good too - probably the best I've tasted so far here in Phnom Penh. 

The burgers are actually quite small, just a bit bigger than fist-size really, so don't expect anything huge. My mom actually asked me if we had accidentally ordered from the kid's menu when our food arrived! I got a good laugh out of that!

 Left - another attempt of mine to take a photo of my food that made it look more appetizing. I think it worked no?
You can check out their menu here.

 Honestly, I could not help but feel like I was back in a New York loft apartment with the interior here! Think the Humphreys' apartment mixed with the Van der Woodsens' from Gossip Girl with a Cambodian twist. 

By Cambodian standards, Brown Coffee is definitely up there, what with all the chic and modern vibe and good quality food. The customer service (at least from what I've experienced in this branch) is great, and they always have a smile on their faces. I totally get their appeal to the coffee drinkers here in Phnom Penh - they've captured that western element that so many people love about foreign coffee brands such as Starbucks, but they've infused it greatly with their local charm that keeps it distinctly Cambodian. Kudos to them.

Price-wise, alright and kind of worth it. Our order (two burgers and two drinks) came out to $17 - for that price I would have probably expected a bigger sized burger. It's sort of like you're paying more for the ambience of the place and free wifi usage than the food.

Nonetheless, it does seem like a crime if you come to Phnom Penh without dropping by Brown Coffee and Bakery. I know I definitely want to come back to try out their pastries and cakes! And you know, blend in with my laptop in tow. 

 Happy discovering!


PS - why do I have this feeling that I'm probably going to persuade my parents, particularly my dad, to get a Brown Card?


No comments:

Post a Comment