Sunday, 6 July 2014

TLP Reads: Summer with My Sister

Here we go with yet another book discovery! (and I promise you, this one won't be as long as the mini essay I wrote about Fangirl) I snagged Summer with My Sister by Lucy Diamond in a Fahasa bookstore while in Ho Chi Minh City, and boy am I glad I picked this one up!

Summer with My Sister is about two women who re-discover what it is like to have, and be, a sister - while also finding themselves - all in one summer.
---
Sisters Polly and Clare Berry could not be more different - the former is a high-flier living the life in her glamorous apartment in London, and the latter a single mom of two, barely making ends meet in a rundown cottage in Elderchurch. However, Polly's life takes an unexpected turn and with nowhere left to go, she's got no choice but to move back to Elderchurch - a decision that neither of them are happy with. Except of course, their parents. The polar opposite sisters find themselves living under one roof, and with secrets unravelling, it's sure to be an interesting and memorable summer for the two. Perhaps Polly and Clare are more alike than they realised...
---
Summer with My Sister is, yet again,  another light and easy read. I'm definitely liking these kinds of books for the summer time and I gotta say, this may be one of my favourite summer reads. Granted, these characters are in their thirties, so I found it a tad bit difficult to relate to their situations, but I couldn't help but laugh, tear up and sometimes even fume along with the sisters.

The novel mainly centers around the theme of family, which is really sweet. Diamond showcases how the bond between sisters (well, family members really) is always there despite years of drifting apart and how it's from moving on from the past together that people can learn to fully live their lives. Haha, it sounds so dramatic and cliche, but I swear, that's really how it is. 

While Polly is the headstrong, determined older sister who won't let anything stand in the way of her ambition, Clare is more timid and cautious when it comes to everything - money, family and love. Both sisters have gone through a fair amount of rough patches in their lives, so it's understandable why they've both become the people they are. But despite having different personalities and skill sets, it's really endearing when you reach the moments in the book where they lean on each other for support. Those moments had me wishing I had a sister.

Again, just a little snippet of one of my favourite moments in Summer with My Sister. No surprise, it's one of the moments between Polly and Clare's two kids, Leila and Alex. Another thing I love about this book is how present Clare's kids are. While in other novels kids are just referred to, Diamond definitely makes it a point to have Leila and Alex heard amongst all the adult drama.

I have to admit, I did connect more with Clare than Polly, and it's mainly because I felt more sympathy for her character. I mean, she's got two kids to feed and her ex-husband Steve is more focused on trying to look like the better parent than actually helping out financially. But that doesn't mean that I love Polly any less. She did, after all, get the rug pulled from underneath her without warning.

Mind you, both Polly and Clare have been unlucky in love - Polly never really having the time due to her focus on work (and, ahem, past experiences) and Clare recovering from her divorce with a man who left her for a hairdresser he met online. That is, until this summer when they both get another shot at finding their 'happily ever afters'. And I gotta say, both their love interests had me feeling quite giddy - lucky sisters!

And oh, I can't not mention their father Graham, who provides so much comedic relief in this story. He has got to be one of my all time favourite fictional dads! He's optimistic and humorous, but also quite concerned and defensive when it comes to his family, particularly his two daughters. And of course, he's the classic grandfather to his grandkids, which makes him all the more loveable.

One great bonus of this book is not the story itself, but the home-made beauty product recipes and summer cocktail recipes that Diamond includes in the back of the book. The home-made beauty product recipes do link in with Clare's storyline, so look out for those when you grab your copy. I'm looking forward to trying my hand out at making the soothing foot balm.

Another thing - the story does take place in the UK. Of course I do have some knowledge of British culture (I did go to a British international school where my teachers were British) but nonetheless, a few of the references to some British TV shows and shops did leave me a bit stumped. Just a heads up. 

So yes, despite the characters being more than 10 years older than me and their situations quite alien, I freaking loved this book. I'd definitely suggest this read for any woman looking for something light and fun, especially to anyone who has a sister! For teenagers, you can see this as a sort of guide to the world of adulthood, so yes, you should read this too.

Wasn't kidding about this being such light summer read - have fun reading it by the pool!

If you ever have the time, definitely check out Summer with My Sister by Lucy Diamond. It's endearing and touching, and if you have a sister, you may just want to hug her as soon as you finish reading it.

Happy discovering!


No comments:

Post a Comment