Wednesday, 2 July 2014

Ho Chi Minh City Hoppin' - Day 2, Part 1

Official first full day in Ho Chi Minh City! So much to see and do... so fair warning, lengthy post ahead despite being part 1 of 2. 

Rex Hotel - built in 1927 during the France's colonial rule in Vietnam. It underwent a major renovation in 2003 and I remember the times when Rex Hotel didn't look as swanky and white as this. Although I wasn't the biggest fan of the place (don't ask me why, I just wasn't), I do quite miss the yellow-tinge the exterior walls used to have and all the flashing neon lights. Now it's all high-end and modern. 

Saigon Tax Trade Center - formerly the Russian Market, is a shopping centre just across Rex Hotel. You can get really great souvenirs up on the third-floor here, and there is a pretty big supermarket too. Throwback: it wasn't always an air-conditioned, brightly lit shopping centre. I remember when it used to look quite run-down, with its green and yellow-tiled floors and grand double staircase in the centre that a lot of the little kids liked to play on. 



Another thing I missed seeing everyday - the two-four story high, skinny buildings that either served as offices, homes or retail stores. You can't miss them, especially as they're painted all these pretty, eye-catching colours. 

One of our favourite shopping spots - Taka Plaza along Nam Ky Khoi Nghia. Two floors of stalls selling clothes, accessories, Vietnam flag T-shirt souvenirs and a few imported beauty products. 


It can be quite tricky shopping here - you need to make the time and effort to look through what each shop is selling to find a good deal. Just glancing and skimming past the shops won't do you any good. And don't forget to haggle!


Just a few steps away from Taka Plaza is Ava Salon, where I often got my hair done and mani/pedis whenever we were in District 1. 


That lady cutting my dad's hair? I've known her since I was about three. She used to work at another salon we also used to go to (I can't remember the name) and sometimes she even came over to our house to cut my hair there (I used to hate going to salons to have my hair cut). Now she's the proud owner of Ava Salon ;) 


At the end of the block is Le Loi St., considered as the main commercial area in Ho Chi Minh City as there are a whole load of stores along this street, as well as restaurants and galleries. A lot of the city's landmarks are also located within this area. No visitor to Ho Chi Minh City will not likely walk along this street. 

One of the reasons I like to go along here is due to the fact that you can purchase a whole range of art supplies here for a really good price. Anytime that I had a project to do for school, Le Loi St. was always my first stop. Ribbons and strings, good quality canvases and brushes, pressed leaves and flowers for scrapbooking, paint - you name it, they've got it. 



Take care when crossing the roads! 

You absolutely cannot visit Ho Chi Minh City without a visit to Saigon Square, the place to shop for affordable designer knock offs, original (or fake, but really good copy) bags, DVDs and clothes. 

For reference - a DVD is about 10,000vnd (a two-disc TV series is about 50,000vnd), bags range between 50,000 - 300,000vnd depending on brand and size (e.g. Kipling, Crumple, North Face), Iphone cases probably 30,000 - 100,000vnd and Beats headphones 200,000 - 1.5 million vnd. 

There is also a Saigon Square 2 along Ton Duc Thang St., also in District 1. So don't get confused between the two. Both Saigon Squares are very similar in terms of what they have to offer and the building itself so visiting either one is fine. Although Saigon Square 2 is more spacious, I still prefer the original one as there are more stalls and options to choose from, despite the pushing and shoving to get through the throngs of people blocking up the narrow halls. It's all part of the experience, yeah?

My parents and I would come here every weekend and visit our 'sukis' (shops we frequented and are loyal customers of). It was really great seeing them again during our visit and catching up.

Again, I remember when Saigon Square used to be an actual 'square', and took up almost the whole block of where Intercontinental Asiana Saigon Hotel and Residences now stand. The only air-conditioned part was the supermarket, and all the stalls were located outside. Also, the prices were much cheaper than they are now...


... so please, don't forget to bargain, bargain, BARGAIN!


After shopping at Saigon Square, we crossed the street to Sedona Suites (#65, corner of Pasteur and Le Loi St.) and had lunch at Cafe Terrace. 



My dad's order: Set 3 - grilled pork, rice, salad and soup. 

Bo Kho for my mom - spicy Vietnamese beef stew that she had with bread (you can choose to have it with either rice or noodles too). A must try!

I got the pasta carbonara - it looks like it's quite a small serving here, but honest to God it's delicious and very filling. 

Besides the bo kho, I'd definitely recommend you try a slice of their corn cake (above, left). White chocolate, cream, chiffon cake and of course, sweet corn. I used to go crazy for this cake! How heavenly does it look? Believe me, it tastes as good as it looks. 


One of the things I love about Cafe Terrace is their decor - their whole black, red and white colour scheme just screams modern and class, and how they've incorporated it into the walls, lights and every piece of furniture is just gorgeous. I dare you to try and not take a photo (and possibly Instagram it).

Price-wise, it's affordable and worth it. The ambience is pretty great, the decorations eye-catching and the menu a mix of Western and Vietnamese dishes.

The only downside to Cafe Terrace is how crowded it can get - and it's mainly due to the people who only come here to use their wifi without really ordering any food. So fair warning!

So that's part 1 done - shopping and lunch. Stay tuned for part 2!

Happy discovering!


No comments:

Post a Comment