Here we go with yet another food adventure! There's absolutely no doubt that the majority of my time here in Phnom Penh has been spent food tripping... I'd been itching to try out Da Sandro Panini Bar ever since my parents mentioned it to me a few weeks back, and so I was pretty psyched to finally check it out last night! Oh boy, you'd think that after eating at Malis the night before I'd call it quits on stuffing my face...but no, I'm that weak-willed when it comes to saying 'no' to food. Then again, who isn't?
Apparently the place was named after the owner's grandfather Sandro, who's 'cooking art' involved 'only love and respect for food, quality and... simplicity'. And I can totally see - well, taste really - it!
As grandfather Sandro (apparently) said: "Simple and delicious. That's the secret!"
I couldn't agree more. Maybe that should be my new motto in life, no?
Da Sandro's is a small and cozy Italian place that definitely has that cute, rustic Western charm to it - wooden chairs of different pastel-y colours that have that worn-out look, a few slabs of white brick, potted plants, white walls and mirrors. Shabby chic if you will; I'm totally in love with the place!
I tell you, it's the little things that absolutely thrill me! The simplicity of the decorations totally adds to it's charm.
Different kinds of cold cut meats... hmm...
They've also got chalkboards with their specials on (well, as well as their menu), and a few polaroids of the 'Panini Family'.
You can watch the staff in action as they put together everything to make delicious paninis!
I got myself their carrot, apple & ginger fresh juice ($3) - absolutely tasty! I've never had ginger in a juice before, so this was a first for me. Definitely glad I tried this one out!
My mom tried out their pineapple, apple & lime fresh juice (also $3) - she gave it a two thumbs up!
As for my panini, well, I ordered the Mau ($6.90) - pork sausage, grilled onion, iceberg lettuce and mustard on ciabatta bread. I was initially going to go for the Anto with tuna mousse and mozzarella, but when I saw the Mau had mustard, I just had to try it out. If you're like me and love a little kick of mustard, I'd definitely recommend the Mau! For sides you've got a choice of salad or roasted potatoes, and no surprise, I went for the potatoes. Yummy!
Mhmm...
Both the parentals went for the Sandro panini ($6.90) - cooked ham, fresh mozzarella and Sandro's eggplant sauce on panino bread. As they were out of cooked ham, my dad replaced it with salami and my mom with err... some sort of ham with mozzarella bits in it (the name totally escapes me). I did have a bite out of my mom's and I can tell you, it is GOOD. It is 'softer' to bite into than the Mau, so if you like those kinds, I'd say go for the Sandro.
We also got the beef lasagna ($8) to share amongst the three of us - tasty little guy too. The paninis themselves are actually quite filling (I only finished half of mine), so you may opt to just stick to those, unless you're really famished and want more. To that, I say, go ahead!
Price-wise, I'd say: WORTH IT! Granted, $6 seems a little much for a sandwich, but it is gourmet and absolutely delicious, so in my book, it passes with flying colours.
It is a really quiet, homey place so it's perfect for unwinding after a long day of sight-seeing around the city. However, according to one of the waitresses we were talking to, it can get quite busy during lunch time (12-3pm) and because the place is quite small, seats can fill up quickly. Definitely suggest that you pop by for that drool-worthy panini and cool drink later in the day (or in the evening like we did) to really appreciate the peaceful ambience at Da Sandro's.
162 eo, St. 63, Sangkat Boeung Keng Kang 1, Phnom Penh
Da Sandro Panini Bar is opened daily, from 11am to 9pm. You can check out their website here, or their Facebook page over here.
I'd definitely suggest you try out Da Sandro's Panini Bar if you're ever in the city! It's such a charming little place with delightful meals that you will no doubt fall in love with and want to visit again, and again until you've tried everything on their menu.
Happy discovering!
Teehee, this cute daschund (who we we assumed was the owner's dog) lounging inside Da Sandro's totally melted my heart - I wanted to take him home with me!
No comments:
Post a Comment