Sunday, 20 July 2014

TLP Reads: The Winner's Curse by Marie Rutkoski

Here we go with another TLP Reads! I Picked up The Winner's Curse by Marie Rutkoski during our layover in Singapore - I actually grabbed the first book that caught my eye while we were at Times, as my dad was rushing me a bit! I know, I know, never judge a book by its cover, but I could not resist. How pretty does it look? I didn't even get a chance to read the blurb, but I am definitely, very happy with my purchase.

---
As a general's daughter in a vast empire that revels in war and enslaves those it conquers, Kestrel has two choices: join the military as her father wishes or get married.

One day, she is startled to find a kindred spirit in Arin, a young slave up for auction. Following her instinct, Kestrel buys him - and for a sensational price that sets the society gossips talking. It's not long before she has to hide her growing love for Arin. But he, too, has a secret and Kestrel quickly learns that the price she paid is much higher than she ever could have imagined.
(Taken from the back cover)
---

*Squeal!* I'm in love with almost everything about this book! I swear, there's something about almost-fictional period settings in new worlds that have been captivating me this summer (Hint: you can expect more of those in the next few days). The descriptions of lavish homes, society events and horse-drawn carriages make me want to almost go back in time and live in that era. If only it were possible!

I love the whole concept of the Winner's Curse economically speaking, and how it's cleverly interweaved into this new world story of secrets, loyalty, forbidden romance and deadly games.

Protagonist Kestrel is a feisty, determined soul set on doing whatever she pleases, however is mindful of her decisions when it comes to pleasing her general father. She's instinctive and tactical, which again, isn't surprising as she's been raised in a community that thrives under war. As she heavily resists the choices that her father gives her, she finds solace in her music (which the Valorians strongly look down upon) and games of chance. I admit, there were times were I rolled my eyes towards her thoughts, but that is explainably due to her naivety towards the reality of the situations she puts herself in.

Now, Arin. Dear 'slave' Arin, a fierce Herrani loyalist who has intelligently placed himself in the general's home as a spy determined to free his people from the hold of the Valorians. I wasn't exactly a fan of his character in the beginning, but as we uncover more of his story and witness the slight change in his responsibilities, he grew on me. Rutkoski doesn't hide Arin's true identity and motives from readers, which makes the story more thrilling as both he and Kestrel must weight their sense of duty to their people against their growing feelings for each other.

I definitely liked the well-crafted and dynamic bond between Arin and Kestrel - they're not sappy love-struck teenagers who believe that "it's us against the world", which is a great breather from most fantasy novels *ahem* you know which ones I'm talking about. The whole master/slave paradigm is very prominent on their minds, especially Kestrel's, which is quite unique to her character and I love that. The moments where they both have their guards down and are able to share their stories (albeit, still withholding a few personal details) are touching, and I'm looking forward to more in the sequel.

 Kestrel's father - General Trajan - is a strong secondary character, and I'm hoping to see more of him in the sequel. He's the stereotypical father-turned-general who struggle to fulfill both his duties to his country and daughter. The father-daughter moments are endearing with their rarity, and you feel quite sympathetic towards Kestrel when General Trajan's fatherly attention can dissipate with a flick of the wrist.

Although the story does heavily revolve around the forbidden romance between Valorian Kestrel and Herrani slave Arin (which is quite Romeo & Juliet), Rutkoski touches upon the whole enslavement and rebellion theme which becomes more prominent towards the latter half of the book. And it's this half that I absolutely fell in love with. There was so much more Rutkoski offered to readers towards the end - more insight into the Herrani's history, more action and struggle and more romantic conflicts. It's just a matter of weeding through that first half to get to the really great stuff (not that you know, the first half wasn't good or anything.)

The major downside? The ending. (Warning: minor spoiler ahead!) It just seemed way too convenient and easy for the brewing war between the Valorians and Herrani to just be eased off by simple conversation. I mean, hello! Enslaved Herrani were rebelling and taking back what was theirs, tensions were rising, people were dying and this is how it's resolved? It's not really just the end of the book where that happens - although it really was that ending that frustrated me. I was expecting so much more in the end, and it was a bit of a let down. I'm hoping it all picks up again in the next book.

That being said, the juxtaposing heart-racing action and mellow, heartwarming moments were amazingly written, and I can't wait for the next installment in this trilogy. Kudos to Rutkoski for grabbing my interest into yet another series!

I can't exactly classify The Winner's Curse as a fantasy novel, but it definitely does have that mysterious, adventurous flair to it that I love about that genre. I didn't even mind Rutkoski's attention to the small details that sort of dragged the story a bit, as her nicely-spun phrases and wit definitely kept me wanting more. I am definitely gutted that the sequel to The Winner's Curse won't be released until next year or so (The Winner's Curse just released March of this year), but you can expect that I will be patiently waiting for my next adventure through the Valorian empire/Herrani rebellion struggle and  Kestrel/Arin fix.

If light fantasy and forbidden romances are your thing, do check out the first novel in The Winner's Trilogy! I'd also definitely recommend this to you if you want a break from the usual vampire, werewolf, warlock, fantasy novels.

Happy discovering!


No comments:

Post a Comment