I definitely didn't want to waste the good weather that graced us today here in Phnom Penh, so I took a stroll along Street 240, just to the left of the Royal Palace (and quite close to Paul's BrewHouse). I'd heard that there were a quite a few shops here in the 'fashion district' of Phnom Penh that I had to check out before leaving the city.
Aside from shops and restaurants, there are quite a number of houses along this street, and the architecture is amazing! As you may probably have guessed by now, I'm a sucker for colonial type houses, so if you're like me, definitely do take the time to stroll down this street.
Found Waterlily, a boutique that sells all sorts of hand-made trinkets made from buttons, plastic spoons and even small toy planes! According to their leaflets (my copy, which I can no longer find), designer and owner Christine Gauthier's creations made from all kinds of beads and recycled materials are frequently featured in fashion magazines and are used for various fashion shows, shootings and trade fairs around Asia.
I absolutely adore the lime green/blue exterior! So welcoming and refreshing.
Sadly, I wasn't allowed to take any snaps but the lady there did let me take a photo of her at work! How awesome is that piece she's doing? Though I've tried it out before, I don't think I have it in me to do anything of that scale!
Looking at the buildings, I sometimes can't help but feel as though I'm not in Phnom Penh - the only things that reminds me of where I am are the signage!
Another awesome discovery - D's Books! They've got all sorts of international titles here that I do believe are secondhand but are in tremendous good condition! Hence, they're uber affordable... I'd say, half the original price or less? Before coming here I actually checked out Monument Books - the National Bookstore or Chapters of Phnom Penh, just along Norodom Blvd. - before coming here and the prices were a bit much for me. So if you're looking for a good read while in the city, definitely stop by here first!
They also do have a cozy reading area at the back of D's Books. The bookworm in me squealed with delight, but thank God I didn't have that much money on me - I would have done serious damage. Not going to lie.
They also do have a cozy reading area at the back of D's Books. The bookworm in me squealed with delight, but thank God I didn't have that much money on me - I would have done serious damage. Not going to lie.
The 240 along, ahem, St. 240 is a 10-room accommodation with a restaurant and shop selling organic products on the ground floor. It definitely has a whole chic, refreshing vibe to it, so if that's your thing, do check it out! If only I hadn't eaten lunch before my walk, I would have definitely tried out the restaurant.
So, if you fancy a nice afternoon walk to unwind and window shop after a whole day of sightseeing, do check out St. 240! Heck, have a relaxing stroll down this street after visiting the Royal Palace! Like I said, there are definitely a number of shops that you should check out (both local and international brands) and restaurants that'll suit everyone's fancy.
Happy discovering!
No comments:
Post a Comment