Mi papa and I took advantage of the great weather and had a little stroll along Sisowath Quay over the weekend - it was an uber sunny Saturday morning, so we tapped into our inner 'Filipino' and brought the umbrella out! Thank God we did too! I could've seriously fried an egg on my head if we didn't!
Sisowath Quay is a historic, three-kilometer boulevard along the intersection of the Tonle Sap and Mekong Rivers, filled with cafes, hotels, shops and restaurants. If you've ever been to Ho Chi Minh City, think of it as the Pham Ngu Lao of Phnom Penh, just you know, with a river next to it. You'll often find a number of tourists and locals along the boulevard, especially late in the afternoon when it's not too hot out.
The flags along the riverside are usually flags from all over the world (I did spot the Philippine flag a few weeks back when we passed by), but those were temporarily replaced with Cambodian flags, as well as flags of the royal colours, to commemorate late King Sihanouk's ashes being enshrined at the Royal Palace's Silver Pagoda that same day.
Wat Ounalom is also located along Sisowath Quay - it stands as the centre of Cambodia's Mohanikay order, making it the most important wat of Phnom Penh. Wat Ounalom was established in 1443 and is a complex of 44 structures. There's no entrance fee, which is a plus.
You can find one of Phnom Penh's must-visits along Sisowath Quay - the Foreign Correspondents Club, a place that proved popular with foreigners in the past, and continuous to be one of the city's hot spots. It's a hotel and restaurant, and I believe there's also a FCC in Siem Riep, as well as other countries in Asia. If you're looking for a place to hang out at in the evening and experience the city's night life, pop by the FCC's Roof Terrace for some live music, cocktails and of course, a stunning riverside view.
Also, right next to FCC, we found Stef's Happy Painting Gallery where you can find absolutely bright and fun paintings! I dare you to not smile at the sight of these gorgeous pieces of art - they definitely make you feel happy and optimistic! I have seen a few of the items from here at other restaurants, so definitely check this gallery out.
Because it was still a 'holiday', there weren't as many vendors and locals along the boulevard, especially as part of the road - particularly the section in front of the Royal Palace - was still closed off to all vehicles. That meant that it was quieter and cleaner than usual; every time we would pass by here in the past, there would always be traffic because of all the street vendors and tuk-tuks waiting for passengers! I definitely seized the opportunity to take as many pretty, less busy photographs as I could!
How gorgeous and 'bright' is the park in front of the Royal Palace?
To the right of the Royal Palace is Phnom Penh's National Museum, where you can find one of the world's largest collections of Khmer artifacts, particularly pottery.
Right in front of the National Museum is this ramshackle, colonial building. It definitely looks abandoned, but in the evenings I believe that it's used as the Heritage Bar. I do know that the building is for sale, judging by the huge tarpaulin sign in the front (which made it much harder for me to take a photo of the entire place in all its rustic glory). So if you know anyone who's looking to purchase a charming colonial site such as this one...
Kick-ass police motorbikes
My dad and I found ourselves right in front of Wat Ounalom once again, and this time we were able to get a better look over the walls of the place. Check it out if you have the chance!
My dad and I were only able to cover a short part of the boulevard, but I do think we were able to see the more major attractions. Rest assured though, there's so much more we missed. If only the heat was bearable, I'm sure we would have covered the whole three-kilometers.
Sisowath Quay is a must-visit while you're here in Phnom Penh, and I can see why. It's close to quite a lot of the city's landmarks, particularly Wat Phnom and the Independence Monument, so it's very accessible. You're also free to roam around the place, take as many photos as you want and interact with the locals. Be a part of the culture if you will. You can take your time here - spend the whole day if you want! With all there is to see along the riverside, there's no doubt you'll need more than two hours to visit everything!
I'd definitely suggest you take a stroll along the Sisowath Quay in the afternoon or evening, so that you don't have to deal with the heat and can better appreciate the view. Have a drink at any of the cafes here, people watch, and just take in the place!
Happy discovering!
No comments:
Post a Comment