Wednesday, 9 July 2014

Lucky Burger, Phnom Penh

I absolutely cannot believe that in the weeks I've been here in Phnom Penh, I had not tried Lucky Burger, Cambodia's biggest local fast food chain. I'd always see the bright red logo with a burger on it every time I was out, but never got round to trying it out until now. Think of it this way: Lucky Burger is to Cambodia as Jollibee is to the Philippines, Lotteria to Vietnam, and McDonald's to the U.S.

Yep, it's that big of a thing here.

Lucky Burger is owned by the Lucky Market Group, which has over 15 supermarkets and fast food chains nationwide. The first store opened in 1995 and instantly captured the locals' interest, especially as they were the first to introduce fast food services in Cambodia. The branch we went to was the one at TK Avenue (which I wrote about here), right next to, what do you know, Lucky Supermarket.



The menu does resemble the one from Lotteria in Ho Chi Minh City, though it's not quite as extensive.

This ice-cream counter (that seems to be tied to the Lucky Market Group, I'm not sure) can be found at I think all Lucky Supermarket and Lucky Burger locations. I've yet to try the yummy flavours - I've particularly got my eye on the white chocolate and peanut butter flavours!

They also have a few baked goods here.



The whole place sort of gives off that KFC vibe for me, with the red and white (with a bit of yellow) colour scheme.

Teehee, not our order, but I did sneak a quick photo of someone else's tray while it was on the counter to give you an idea of what they've got to offer here. 

My mom and I both got a shrimp burger, and it tasted pretty darn good. Again, it reminded me a lot of the shrimp burgers you can get from Lotteria - it tastes pretty similar, so if you're craving it, Lucky Burger is a great alternative here in Cambodia. Or you know, Lotteria is a great alternative if you're in Ho Chi Minh City. Since we did opt to not get the full meal (sans drink and fries) the price of $1.90 did seem a bit much for just the burger itself. You're better off getting the full meal.
Lesson learned.

With no McDonald's or Burger King in sight, Lucky Burger seems like the next best thing for when you're craving some good old fast food here. It seems to be a cult favourite and part of their local cuisine, so it would almost be wrong to not check it out. With the number of branches popping up, there's no doubt that you'll probably find yourself at one.

As always,
Happy discovering!


No comments:

Post a Comment